Saturday, January 29, 2011

Wheaten Bread

Had a go at a hand-me-down recipe for wheaten bread.  The recipe is one my Dad uses but he learnt it by watching his Aunt do it.  I did the same with my Dad a few years back but as we're in modern times I did so with my laptop open while trying to type in all the things he did.

It was a tricky.  I thought I'd easily get all the measurements down into a fool proof method but the process began like this:

Mix 2 handfuls of course wholemeal flour with 1 handful of bran...wait now...how big is a handful?  As it turned out Dad's hand lifts about 4oz of flour...which is also handy if you're baking a cake.

Anyway the rest went something like this:


Dry Mix
2 handfuls Course Wholemeal Flour
1 handful Bran or Plain Flour (Dad usually uses bran)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)

Liquid Mix
Mix the following separately then add to Dry mix
2 dessert spoonfuls Molasses Cane Sugar (mixed in a little hot water to aid mixing), can be varied to taste
0.75 pint approx Butter Milk
2 dessert spoonfuls cooking oil

Add the final mixture to a greased and lined rectangular loaf tin.

Gas Mark 5, 45 mins approx

So that is what I followed tonight except I doubled everything.  I couldn't bake my Dad's old recipe without making him a loaf and the other one is for the SWOT breakfast tomorrow.

1 comment:

☆Laura☆ said...

Hey!! You're blogging again!