Saturday, March 31, 2007

Life, Science Fiction, Pantos and Soap Operas

We had a problem with our fancy photocopier in work. And like in so many large organisations, what should have been a simple process of replacing a waste toner cartridge turned into a bit of a pantomime. I made several phone calls before I received one from the support people. A Douglas Adams called me. This amused me somewhat bearing in mind this guy shared a name with the famous writer of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. But this guy talked toner.

And so the process progressed in a manner not dissimilar to a scene from the previously mentioned book. First they said they didn't do it. Then the people they did say did it, well, didn't. Then the first people I called had to be contacted by another person to confirm they did do the thing that they should have done in the first place.....and so on.

In the end I spoke to Mark Fowler. He got it sorted and at the end of the call I paused and waited. What for? Well, a dramatic statement, a roll of a drum, and some tacky music....

You get some days like that.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I think that toner companies just hire people with famous names for fun. Its all about catching your attention.

Crap customer service though.